8.17.2005

My New Brace!

We just got back from The Hospital. The doctors gave me a new brace. It's on my right foot. It's called an AFO. Ankle Foot Orthodic. Which is silly because it almost comes up to my knee! :)

It's really pretty. Mr. J let me pick out the design to put on it. I picked out butterflies and flowers. It has a rubber hinged ankle, so I can move my foot up and down. They also molded me for an AFO on my left leg.



Mr. J is the man who makes most of my braces in Orthotics and Prosthetics. (aka: O and P)

Ever since I was about seven years old, I've been able to explain my pain to my parents and the doctors. Now that I have the new AFO, I have almost no pain to explain! I always have a little "new brace pain". But I'm used to that because I used to have a SMO. I forgot what SMO stands for. It's like an ankle brace.

When I got the AFO this morning, I looked funny when I walked. Mr. J and my mom kept telling me "Heel, toe! Heel, toe!" Now I have learned how to walk smoother. I have even figured out how to run! Sort of.

The doctor says that I'm not allowed to use the wheelchair anymore, unless there's an emergency. That's OK with me. I don't think I'll need to use it! :)

3 comments:

Art Lad said...

It looks neat. I like the colors you picked.

Hope it doesn't hurt that much.

The Whippy Curly Tails said...

I Twinkie...thanks for coming by my blogs. You are welcome to visit anytime!

I really like the flowers on your brace...very colorful!

Take care, The Whippy Curly Tails in the Toasty South!

Charlie Cory said...

Brave girl. I am glad that the brace has had such a profound effect on you.

Best wishes

Charlie